Sunday 6 November 2011

Bette Davis: Both Sides Now


YouTube will not let me upload this video to my channel MonroeSmile, so for those of you who wish to see it, here it is...

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the material used in this video. All material belongs to their respective owners. Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use", including non-profit, educational or personal. This is purely a fan video. No copyright infringement intended. 

I've loved this song every since I heard it in the film Love Actually, and have always intended to use in a tribute. But it was only the other day that I thought it would be perfect for Bette Davis. In her films, Davis usually falls in love but due to her position, health or any other circumstances, she is prevented from having her happy ending. The theme of this video is looking back at life with experience and hindsight, yet still not understanding any of it. 


In my opinion, Bette is the greatest actress in history. A double Oscar winner, no other actress in the history of film, for me, has had more presence, more power, nor more spellbinding talent onscreen. And in an era where glamour and flawlessness was paramount for an actress, Bette took some of the ugliest and most unflattering roles, whether it was a horrid face or horrid personality- she didn't care that it repulsed audiences and gave it her all.

I hope you like it. The song is 'Both Sides Now' by Joni Mitchell.

Films included:
Mr. Skeffington, The Letter, All About Eve, Dark Victory, Now, Voyager and Jezebel. Thank you Doug for the Jezebel clips

4 comments:

  1. MY dear friend You are alright with me. A BIG thank you for the video and for one of my favorite singers singing one of my favorite songs. Bravo Bette and Bravo Joni Mitchell
    Thank you
    LaSharown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you got my PM! What an idiot I am!!! Flawless video as usual, put to one of my favourite Joni songs. You outdo yourself every tme. We have so much in commmon...I've never heard this version though. She was so strong, talented and brave. She inspires me to be that way, like Elizabeth 1st does. You have a high emotional intelligence to make tributes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the best tribute videos I have ever seen and I fully agree with daisynation that this kind of stellar work requires a high emotional intelligence. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claudia your tribute to Bette Davis is so brilliant! Love your blog and I'll be visiting you here very often!

    ReplyDelete